Scooter / Motorcycle
Laws to abide by
- It is illegal for mopeds to operate on sidewalks and/or in bike lanes.
- You may not park at bike racks, sign posts, trees, on the grass, stairways, etc.
- Mopeds are to…
- Follow all traffic laws just like any other motor vehicle.
- Yield to pedestrians
- Be registered with UNC Transportation and Parking
- Park in designated areas
- If a motorist doesn’t see you, don’t be afraid to use your horn.
- Remember that motorists often have trouble seeing motorcycles and reacting in time.
- Make sure your headlight works and is on day and night.
- Be aware of the blind spots cars and trucks have.
- Flash your brake light when you are slowing down and before stopping.
Dress for safety
- Always wear a helmet, it is required by law. Failure to wear helmet on a motorcycle or moped will result in a fine from $25 to $75.
- Remember – the only thing between you and the road is your protective gear.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing, long pants, and a light-colored helmet.
- Wear leather or other thick, protective clothing.
Apply effective driving strategies:
- Search for potential hazards
- Evaluate any possible hazards
- Execute proper action to avoid.
- Give yourself space and time to respond to other motorists’ actions.
- Give other motorists time and space to respond to you.
- Use lane positioning to be seen; ride in the part of a lane where you are most visible.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Avoid weaving between lanes.
- Know and follow the rules of the road, and stick to the speed limit.
- Stay out of traffic, as much as possible