- Download the LiveSafe app or schedule a SafeWalk to help you get around safely at night
- Establish eye contact with the driver before entering a crosswalk.
- Observe all lanes before crossing. Even though one vehicle has stopped, vehicles may pass in another lane or in an opposite direction.
- Cross the street within the marked lines of the crosswalk.
- If crossing the street at a place other than within a designated crosswalk or intersection, the vehicle has the right-of-way.
- Use good judgment. Watch traffic at all times.
- Avoid distractions, such as texting or talking on the phone, when crossing the road.
- Failure to yield to a pedestrian within a marked crosswalk is a violation of North Carolina law.
- Be attentive when traveling through crosswalks and be prepared to stop.
- Do not pass other vehicles stopped for pedestrians on your side of the roadway.
- If turning with a green light, a pedestrian crossing with the same green light has the right-of-way.