Recruitment Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to do to get a job with UNC Police?
- Continuously check the UNC Police website for job openings or the UNC-Chapel Hill Human Resources for job openings.
- Is there an age limit?
- Candidates must be at least 20 years of age.
- Are there any restrictions on where I can live?
- How many officers do you hire per year?
- Varies year-to-year based on the number of openings the department may have at any given time.
- Do you accept out of state or lateral transfers?
- What is Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET)?
- BLET is the state-mandated training required by NC Training and Standards Commission to become a sworn police officer in the State of North Carolina.
- I am an experienced police officer. How much can I expect my starting salary to be?
- Current Officer pay information and additional information on UNC-Chapel Hill Salary Banding.
- How long is orientation and field training?
- Department orientation is 3 weeks and field training is 12 weeks
- How long does it take to hire an applicant?
- 3 to 5 months.
- I do not have a BLET certification. Will the department pay for me to attend BLET if hired?
- Each candidate is considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Does the department offer its own police academy?
- Does the police department maintain an eligibility list of police applicants for future vacancies?
- Is there a probationary period for new police officers?
- Yes, 12 months.
- Is greater consideration given to applicants who have completed BLET?
- Yes, BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training) certified candidates are preferred.
- Can I enroll in BLET on my own?
- Yes, through the community college system.
- Is greater consideration given to someone with a college degree or a military background?
- Department reviews all candidates based on total qualifications.
- Can you do all of the testing in one or two days for out-of-state applicants?
- The initial test is completed in one day during an open house. Subsequent testing will be completed by applicants who receive a conditional offer for employment.
- What kind of benefits does your agency have?
- Refer to UNC-Chapel Hill Human Resources or the UNC Police benefits page.
- What are my parking options?
- Refer to Transportaion and Parking webpage for information on how to obtain parking on campus.