Officer Expectations and Duties
We respect life and liberty. We are sensitive and inclusive, treating everyone with dignity and compassion.
We are guided by the principles of justice. We employ the highest ethical standard, we demand accountability, consistency, fairness and honesty in the performance of our duties.
We take pride in our department. We are committed to excellence in our profession, and we maintain the highest standard of education in our field.
Maintain a mental and moral strength to resist opposition and fairness of mind. Always stand by your fellow officers in the face of danger or extreme difficulty. Position duties are inclusive of all required tasks. Employees perform other related work as required.
Duties of a Police Officer
- Protects life and property through the enforcement of laws & regulations; Proactively patrols assigned areas
- Responds to calls for police service
- Conducts preliminary & follow-up criminal and traffic investigations
- Conducts interviews
- Prepares written reports and field notes of investigations and patrol activities
- Arrest and processes criminals
- Testifies in court
- Emergency duties required during adverse weather conditions
- Ability to exercise judgment in determining when to use force and to what degree
- Operate a law enforcement vehicle under emergency conditions day or night
- Comprehending legal documents including citations, affidavits, warrants and other documents.
- Commanding emergency personnel at accident emergencies and disasters
- Takes an active role in Community Oriented Policing on campus
- Self initiate traffic and/or criminal investigations.