It is the policy of UNC Police not to admit persons to locked buildings or offices unless the individual requesting access can show authorization for access to the building/office. Such authorization can be shown in a variety of ways that are outlined below.
I. Access to Outside Building Doors
- A person with a key to his/her own office in a building may be admitted.
- Insure information is recorded into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
II. Access to His/Her Own Offices
- A person requesting admittance into his own office may be admitted if their name and office can be verified through checking the University Telephone Directory.
- Insure information is recorded into the CAD system.
III. Access to Another’s Office
If a person expresses a need to be admitted into the area that cannot be verified through the University Telephone Directory the following steps should be taken:
- If the requester would like to have his Department Chair contacted for authorization:
- If the Telecommunicator contacts the Chair and receives authorization, admit the person and file information into the CAD system.
- If unable to contact Department Chair, do not admit person. File information into the CAD system and state reason for denial of admittance.
- If the requester does not want the have his Department Chair contacted for authorization, do not admit person. File information into the CAD system and state reason for denial of admittance.